What 2017 Taught Me + Playlist.
I think we can all agree that 2017 was trash. More than half the time, I couldn't distinguish what was a real-life headline and what was from The Onion. Nonetheless, it's been a year of accomplishments, adventures, and the occasional emotional breakdown. This year, I graduated undergrad, took four trips, and started my first full-time job. I spent this week reflecting on the past 12 months. While I didn't cross everything off my 17 Things To Do in 2017 list, I grew into the person I want to be. That's always the goal. I won't be setting a resolution for 2018 or making a list; I'm carrying the lessons of 2017 into the new year. In the words of my president, "I think I really like who I'm becoming."
Oh and check out my little playlist. It's a mix of songs that directly relate to the lessons and ones that I just kept on repeat for weeks and weeks,. Let me know what you think!
In 2017 I learned:
1. Just because you can handle it, doesn’t mean you have to. And on the days you can’t, crying doesn't make you weak. Tune into your emotions; everything you feel is valid and anyone who tells you different can kick rocks.
2. Don’t forget to celebrate your accomplishments. I know you always want to do more but it’s okay to sit still.
3. There will be days where the only thing on your ‘To Do List’ is to pick up champagne to make mimosas with your best friend. Don’t question it.
4. You can and will make homes out of more places than one. You can turn bare walls and 1,000 square feet into a home with the right people.
5. Your success doesn’t have to look like everyone else’s. Trust the process, trust your process, and move at your own pace.
6. Nothing good can come from finding her Instagram. It won’t make you feel any better and what you think is great about her doesn't take anything away from you.
7. Quit over-analyzing every move. Book a flight and worry about the planning later. Start working on the projects you’re sitting on. Just start somewhere.
8. Having it together is a cycle, not a constant. You’ll go weeks without hitting any PR's, or even stepping foot in a gym. There’ll be weeks where you eat pizza and donuts and forget what broccoli tastes like. Let the cycles come as they will.
9. You don’t have to wait for anyone to do the things you want. Whether it’s traveling across the country or a trip to NYC, you can do it by yourself and will be glad you did.
10. And finally, embrace transitions. Acknowledge your growth while still being open to take it to new heights. The part of self-love and self-growth that no one talks about is how knowing better doesn’t always mean you do better. Take the lessons of 2017, the ones you’ve mastered and the ones that still need work, and cultivate them until they become second-nature to the woman you want to be, the woman you are, the woman you’re supposed to be.
What did this year teach you? What and who are you leaving in 2017?